Acting on the mandate of the Black Sea countries (Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Russian Federation, Turkey and Ukraine) which on the 21-04-1992, signed and shortly thereafter ratified the Convention on the Protection of the Black Sea Against Pollution, the Commission on the Protection of the Black Sea Against Pollution (the Black Sea Commission) implements the provisions of the Convention and the Black Sea Strategic Action Plan.
- Combating Pollution from land-based sources and maritime transport,
- Achieving sustainable management of marine living resources,
- Pursuing sustainable human development.
Main Policy Measures
- Pollution reduction from rivers, priority pollution sources, vessels; regulatory and legal tools
- Conservation of biological diversity, expansion of protected territories, promotion of responsible fisheries
- Introduction of ICZM, promotion of EIA environmental audit, ecologically sound technologies, public involvement in environmental decision making, green tourism and sustainable livelihood